Thursday, January 19, 2017

The Virtual Paintout - Puerto Rico

First Pen & Ink Watercolor Study
This is my third attempt at playing with the Church Nuestra Señora de la Concepcion y San Fernando of Toa Alta  - a Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of San Juan, Puerto Rico.  I will try and loosen up the composition and do another one (and most likely final) study this weekend.

I am participating in "The Virtual Paintout" an artistic challenge using Google Street View as a resource for traveling the world to find interesting locations and subjects to paint.  Every month there is a new location.  Anyone can join in the fun.  I plan on sketching this a few more times and I will post those here and I believe I will use watercolor - maybe acrylic.

My location selection is at the bottom of the page and is an iPhone snap of the computer screen of the place I finally rested my "yellow man" as we traversed Google's street view of Puerto Rico.  

I haven't picked up my pencil and paintbrushes in a very long time... I segwayed into poetry for a few years... but have been feeling the itch to try my hand at drawing and painting again.


Pen & Ink Study
Second day - above is a pen & ink study - scale and angles are still off, but pen means no erasing... just getting a feel for it.   Will try another sketch tomorrow and play with watercolor perhaps.


The above is an initial quick sketch of Church Nuestra Señora de la Concepcion y San Fernando of Toa Alta  - a Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of San Juan, Puerto Rico.   I didn't continue with the shading and details as I made a major mistake on my perspective - the walkway angle is way off, and overall dimensions are incorrect - my artistic muscles need a bit of refreshing.   







https://www2.pr.gov/oech/oech/Documents/Propiedades%20en%20el%20Registro%20Nacional/Toa%20Alta/Iglesia%20de%20Nuestra%20Señora%20de%20la%20Concepción%20y%20San%20Fernando.pdf





No comments: